In terms of section 127 (1) of the Constitution, the executive authority of a province is vested in the Premier. The Premier appoints an Executive Council made up of five to ten members of the provincial legislature; they are known as Members of the Executive Council (MEC’s).
The MEC’s are effectively ministers and the Executive Council a cabinet at the provincial level. Section 132 (2) gives Premier the powers to appoint Members of the Executive Council, assigns their powers and functions, and may dismiss them.
The Premier and the Executive Council are responsible for implementing provincial legislation, along with any national legislation assigned to the provinces. They set provincial policy and manage the departments of the provincial government; their actions are subject to the national constitution.
They are accountable to the provincial legislature, both individually and as a collective, and must regularly report to the legislature on the performance of their responsibilities. MEC’s are accountable to the Premier with respect to the performance of their Departments.
Subsequent to the extensive consultation on the strength and weaknesses and two (2) vacancies in the Executive Council; Premier Honourable SOR Mahumapelo has decided to constitute the collective of the North West Province as follows:
· Department of Finance, Economic Enterprise Development: - Ms. W. Nelson (Unchanged)
· Department of Rural Environment and Agricultural Development:- Ms. M. Tlhape (Unchanged)
· Department of Education and Sports Development:- Mr. J.S. Lehari (new)
· Department of Local Government and Human Settlement:- Ms. G.F. Gaolaolwe (new)
· Department of Health:- Dr. M. Masike (unchanged)
· Department of Public Works and Roads:- Mr. M. Sambatha (unchanged)
· Department of Social Development:- Ms. K.J. Nkewu (new)
· Department of Culture, Arts and Traditional Affairs:- Ms. O.R. Mochware (new)
· Department of Community Safety and Transport Management:- Dr. M.N. Motlhabane (new)
· Department of Tourism:- Ms. D. Mohono (unchanged)
Premier SOR Mahumapelo thanked all former members of the Executive Council and wished new members success in the execution of their responsibilities.
The new Members of the Executive Council shall take oath of office and be inducted on Monday (09/05/2016) by the Office of the Premier.